Links of Interest
Non-Government agencies involved with Trails:
- NS Trails - Member based volunteer group that supports a wide range of trail stakeholders throughout the province. Use their Trail Guide to search out new trails!
- Trails in Nova Scotia - Trail descriptions and maps categorized by area
- The Great Trail - Formerly known as the Trans Canada Trail, volunteers in Nova Scotia now work to build trails around the western region of Nova Scotia to complete connections.
Links to projects we support:
- Proposed Blue Mountain Birch-Cove Lakes Regional Park - Learn more about efforts to create the park, currently spearheaded by the Friends of Blue Mountain-Birch Cove Lakes Society. Site includes some maps of the area.
- Sandy Lake Regional Park - Learn more about efforts to create the park spearheaded by the Sandy Lake Conservation Association and a coalition of supporters.
Links with a focus on community and physical activity:
- International Trails Day - Celebrated on the First Saturday of June, a day dedicated to celebrate trails, their development, uses and the healthy lifestyle they encourage.
- Our HRM Alliance - Over 60 local groups concerned with sustainability in the Halifax Regional Municipality and the ongoing review of the Halifax Green Network Plan and the Regional Plan.
- Halifax Trails - Local resource for trails information.
- Trails in other parts of Halifax
- Hike Nova Scotia - Organization that promotes hiking and hosts training events and an annual Hiking Summit in Nova Scotia.
- Local Community Trail Groups - Members of the Halifax Regional Trails Association.
- Nordic Pole Walking Nova Scotia - Great exercise for all! More information can be found on their website. Nordic Poles are available to borrow from Keshen Goodman Public Library thanks to a wellness grant from Chebucto West Community Health Board.
Links with a focus on Natural Resources and the Environment:
- Soil & Water Conservation Society of Metro Halifax - Website dedicated to the need for freshwater benthic ecology
- Atlantic Monitoring Network - Organization initiating and supporting community-based water monitoring and management
- Nova Scotia Nature Trust - Works with private landowners to protect significant natural areas throughout the province. Urban wildlands are a current focus; includes the new Blue Mountain Connector.
- Nova Scotia Wild Flora Society - Wondering about the flower you spotted on a hike? This site is a great resource!
- Leave No Trace - Outdoor ethics for responsible outdoor recreation; remember to Pack It In, Pack It Out!
- Ecology Action Centre - Advocate for Protecting the Environment
- NS Environmental Network - Society focused on the conservation and enhancement of the natural environment and the pursuit of a sustainable future for Nova Scotia.
- Nature Nova Scotia - A coalition of natural history groups.
- iNaturalist - An easy to use resource for identifying our natural world. It helps to identify the biodiversity on the trails through citizen science (join our project!).
Halifax Regional Municipality: